hess Club will be taught this year by Mr. Gavin Francis of Smart Move Chess LLC. Mr. Francis is a USCF-certified chess coach has been teaching at CWES for three years. He has worked as an instructor for the Berkeley Chess School in the San Francisco Bay area, Championship Chess in Atlanta, and as an online chess and math instructor for Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth. Gavin has also served as executive coordinator for the U.S. Chess Center in Washington, D.C.
- Chess Club will meet on Friday afternoons in the Cafeteria from 5:30 – 6:45 PM.
- Chess Club is broken into two 15-week sessions.
- First Session (Fall) will be offered September 14 to January 11.
- Second Session (Spring) will be offered February 1 to May 31.
- Weather cancellations via Fairfax County Public School alerts for after-school programs.
Tournaments and Club News
In the 2017-2018 school year CWES sponsored three Unrated chess tournaments that were attended by 12 different schools in the Northen Virginia area.
CWES will sponsor up to five open tournaments this calendar year. The current plan is to host three Unrated tournaments and two Rated tournaments.
Chess Club Sign-Up Registration
Below is the enrollment / permission form. Please complete and attach a $100 check per player to the application. Place in an envelope, write “Chess Club” on the front, and send into school to give to the Front Office. The $100 covers teacher fees, materials, chess club t-shirt, and end-of-session party.
If you have any questions, please contact the chess club at firstname.lastname@example.org
For your convenience, payment can also be made through PayPal: