This year, our Chess Club will be taught by Mr. Gavin Francis, Smart Move Chess LLC. Mr. Francis is a USCF-certified chess coach and tournament director. He has worked as an instructor for the Berkeley Chess School in the San Francisco Bay area, Championship Chess in Atlanta, and as an online chess and math instructor for Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth. Gavin has also served as executive coordinator for the U.S. Chess Center in Washington, D.C.
- Chess Club will meet on Friday afternoons from 5:30 – 6:45 PM.
- CWES Chess Club is broken into two 14-week sessions.
- First Session (Fall) will be offered September 8 to January 19.
- Second Session (Spring) will be offered on February 2 to June 1.
- Enrollment will include instruction and in-house tournaments.
- Weather cancellations via Fairfax County Public School alerts for after-school programs.
Tournaments and Club News
The Student Holiday Chess Tournament will be held on Monday, November 6 in the cafeteria. It will be 4-Round Individual Swiss. The tournament is limited to 50 students. Pre-registration fee is $5.00.
Below is the enrollment / permission form. Please complete and attach a $100 check per player to the application. Place in an envelope, write “Chess Club” on the front, and send into school to give to the Front Office. The $100 covers teacher fees, materials, chess club t-shirt, and end-of-session party.
If you have any questions, please contact the chess club at email@example.com
For your convenience, payment can also be made through PayPal: